[AMPS] The Monster Breathes

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] The Monster Breathes
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 97 08:28:17 -0800
>>Question:  What would be the expected efficiency of this amp,
>>considering the tubes may be 15-20 years old?
>

>Efficiency is the same this year as in 1966 Ron. With good tubes expect
>60% or so.

well put

>> ........ Idling current is 135 ma which produces considerable
>>heat; a zener in the filament return line is my next project.

For minimal distortion you need 75mA of ZSAC per anode.  If heat is a
problem, why not use high speed VOX with high speed switching in the
amplifier?  When one is not talking, zero dissipation occurs within a few
hundred milliseconds - which is pretty nice since it's more like talking
on the telephone instead of broadcasting at each other - a.k.a. 'lock to
talk'.   .  There's a high speed switching circuit in the 1/94 *QST*
article on amplifiers.  If you use a modern radio, you need it to prevent
hotswitching.

>>Again, thanks to all for their posts. I compare this project to
>>rebuilding a sixties' big bore Mustang. It's big, ugly, but still fun!

Big is right.  My old 20db gain 'tetrode with handles' amp. was 27.5
inches high - including the 8kV anode and 1.5kV screen supplies,
including the blower.

>More like a small block 351C .  You need 4-1000A's to equate to a 429
>Cobra!
...... good tubes have handles.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K