[AMPS] Amplifier whoas!

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Amplifier whoas!
From: nw9g@netusa1.net (Steve Narducci)
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 1997 00:50:05 -0500
Picked up an AL-80 amp at a hamfest (yea, I know, I took a chance).  Run
great for a
week.  Then today after having the amp on for 30 minutes in operation on 15
meters,
it shut down.  Popped off the cover and notice that the case was so hot, I
had to use
gloves to remove it.  The 10 amp fuse was blown.  Caps c-15 and c-16 were
burned up.
Replaced the fuse and fired it back up.  The amp came on, filament glowed,
grid current
meter peggs backwards, no output when I put power into the amp. Plate
current meter
peggs forwards when power applied.  Also on receive with meter switched to
grid current,
the receive in my rig almosts drops out, when I put the switch into voltage
or ip, the
rx comes back up.  Anyone know what actually happened inside this amp??  I
am not a
tech but I will tackle it if I know what to replace other than c-15 and c-16.
Thanks so much in advanced.....Steve