[AMPS] AL 1200 operation question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] AL 1200 operation question
From: gmyers@cetlink.net (Gary Myers)
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 09:47:21 -0500
Steve Narducci wrote:

> Just wondering how well this particular amp performs, it's shortcomings and
> durability.
> Anyone sorry that they went this direction and if so, what other direction
> they would
> have rather taken.   Thanks all.....Steve

I had one at one time. It is very rugged looking and internally. It does
take power to get it up to its full capability. Further the Pi-L is only
on 40 and lower. It is a Pi above this. Finally the killer for me is its
efficiency falls off on 20 and above hitting an abysmal 45% on 10
meters! I struggled to get 900 w out. This was not acceptable both from
the standpoint of pushing the tube and the -2+ db hit I would have
against the "legal" competition. By the way I tried to work with the
manufacturer and they eventually said this is normal and there was
nothing to be done about it!

G.  K9RX