[AMPS] AL 1200 operation question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] AL 1200 operation question
From: gmyers@cetlink.net (Gary Myers)
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 1997 12:25:32 -0500
km1h @ juno.com wrote:

> Thats strange Gary.
> Of the 30 or so I sold in years past I never had that problem. Many of
> them are still in use at top contest stations and deliver 1500W or very
> close on all bands.
> Let me correct the above a bit...a few came with the input networks mis-
> adjusted. A few minutes after cutting the green wire and all was well. I
> bench tested about 75% of the ones I sold.
>
> 73   Carl   KM1H

Hmmmmmmm! This is interesting. I was very frustrated at the time but did
try to work with the manufacturer. They suggested a few things then
finally came back with the statement that : "we checked our production
line units and the performance you see is the same as what we see. It is
expected that high power is not as critical on these higher bands
expecially 10 meters"!!! THis did it for me, I sold it a week later!
Tell me, how much input is required for a full 1500 watts out on 80 and
how much on 10? What is the power in and out on 10?  The guy I bought it
from said he had the same results. Most commercial amps do tend to fall
apart on 10, typically 55% or so but 45% was too low for me. The one
exception I had was the Titan that ran 62%-64% on all bands.

G.