[AMPS] tube compatability

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] tube compatability
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 97 09:29:33 -0800
>> To:            amps@contesting.com
>
>> is a 3cpx800a7 the same tube as the 3cx800a7 (difference being the "p").
>> and can 3cpx800a7 be a replacement for the 3cx800a7 in my titan amp?
>> thanks....Steve
>
>Same tube in this case Steve, but better testing.
>
>Be sure to add a grid over-current protection circuit to your amp. If
>it does not have one, or you will eat up the new tubes.
>
>A fuse is NOT enough, nor is a warning light. You need something that
>quickly knocks the Titan off line if the Ig ever gets over 50 or 100
>mA... even for a brief instant.
>
>73, Tom W8JI

-  100mA equates to about 2.7w.  Mr. Rauch assumes that all bouts of
excessive grid current in 3CX800A7s/8877s/8874s ... is due to operator
error, et cetera -- a.k.a. Not Invented Here Syndrome. .  During the
grate VHF parasitics debate, he contended that gold could be sputtered at
low temperatures by few watts.

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K