[AMPS] tube compatability

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] tube compatability
From: al511@freenet.uchsc.edu (Robert Neece)
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 14:52:46 -0700

With respect to 3CX800A7's, and the like, Tom, W8JI, writes:

>Be sure to add a grid over-current protection circuit to your amp, if
>it does not have one, or you will eat up tubes.
>
>A fuse is NOT enough, nor is a warning light.  You need something that
>quickly knocks the [name your amp] off line if the Ig ever gets over
>[name your maximum comfort level] mA... even for a brief instant.

Agreed.

My copy of Bill Orr's Radio Handbook shows one version of a grid
over-current protection circuit designed, as I recall, by W8ZR.
Some years ago, a fellow (might have been ZR) was selling printed-circuit
boards for his own flavor of circuit.

What's the latest wisdom on creating a suitable circuit?  Any source
of PC boards or other short cuts to getting the job done?

73 de Bob, K0KR