[AMPS] LK-800

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] LK-800
From: w4eto@rmii.com (richard w. ehrhorn)
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 14:46:21 -0700

----------
From:   km1h @ juno.com[SMTP:km1h@juno.com]
Sent:   Monday, December 08, 1997 11:10 AM
To:     grimm@lynchburg.net; amps@contesting.com
Subject:        Re: [AMPS] LK-800

On Mon, 08 Dec 1997 11:07:58 -0500 "Kenneth D. Grimm"
<grimm@lynchburg.net> writes:
>km1h @ juno.com wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 07 Dec 1997 21:10:18 -0500 dtrbizan@netcom.ca writes:
>> >Season Greetings,
>> >       I was hoping that some of you could tell me a little more
>> about
>> >this amp other than the fact that it runs 3x3CX800's. Are these a
>> good
>> >amplifier? What is the typical expected output? and what is the
>> >current
>> >market price.
>
>stuff snipped
>
>> Good is a relative term.
>> The LK-800 requires some TLC for long term reliability.
>> The PS is excellent .
>> The RF deck is marginal in a few areas and could use some mods. It
>> does
>> however use a vacuum relay for the output.
>> Power out is ~ 2500W with 80- 100W of drive.
>> Replacement parts are readily available.
>> Current prices are ~ $2500-3000; look for the latest  A model or the
>> later C model.
>>
>> GL   Carl   KM1H
>
>I agree with Carl, but would add that there is a relatively rare and
>much sought after TNY version which would command the higher end of
>Carl's price range if not a bit higher.  As a matter of trivial
>interest, I might point out that the TNY version of the amp is named
>after a former Mr. Ohio body builder who is currently a not-so-well
>known rock band member.  I have more details, but have been sworn to
>secrecy.  :-}
>
>73,
>
>Ken K4XL
>grimm@lynchburg.net

That is the first I heard that WB8TNY was a secret Ken.....been common
knowledge for years. Denny used to tell anyone that...even at Dayton.
The LK-800TNY can do 5KW PEP out on SSB since it  uses a xfmr with taps.
Amp Supply supposedly got Eimac approval for 3KV on the 3CX800A7's in SSB
service...I never saw the proof.

I'd be very dubious of that...we could never get Eimac to budge on ratings. My
guess is VERY short life if they can deliver 5 kW PEP in voice service at all.

 On CW you are "supposed to" switch back
to the 2200V tap (panel switch) but I wonder how many do ...and what is
the tube life in that amp?

A stock LK 800 will do close to 3KW out at 120W drive and still not
exceed the ratings of the original Eimac spec sheet.

"Original" is the word. As I recall Eimac dropped the per-tube ratings sharply
a year or so after the 3CX800 went to market - probably for a pretty good
reason like excessive warranty expense early on.

At 2200V full load (?) Ip on envelope crests would be 2+ amps. The tubes will
do it and, if Ig is well controlled, will still deliver good life. Probably not
"normal" life.

 If you want to push the tubes as hard as Ten-Tec, Command, etc (100W a
pair...way over specs) even another few tenths of a dB is possible with
150W of drive.
IMO...only Eimac wins in those situations.

Amen, Carl.

73, Dick W0ID

73   Carl  KM1H