[AMPS] smoked TL922

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] smoked TL922
From: w4eto@rmii.com (richard w. ehrhorn)
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 15:51:18 -0700

----------
From:   richard w. ehrhorn[SMTP:w4eto@rmii.com]
Sent:   Monday, December 08, 1997 2:46 PM
To:     'amps@contesting.com'; 'km1h @ juno.com'; 'Rich Measures'
Subject:        RE: [AMPS] smoked TL922

----------
From:   Rich Measures[SMTP:measures@vc.net]
Sent:   Monday, December 08, 1997 11:38 AM
To:     km1h @ juno.com; amps@contesting.com

>On Sun, 7 Dec 97 17:31:47 -0800 Rich Measures <measures@vc.net> writes:
>>>
>>>On Sun, 7 Dec 1997 11:26:57 EST JW KIMBALL <JWKIMBALL@aol.com>
......snip...
>>>Sounds like a simple case of internal arcing in the tube.  A 10-20 Ohm
>>>resistor in the HV lead would possibly have minimized the damage.
>>>The grid chokes are also way too large in current capacity. Replace with
>>>150-200 ma types which have both extra resistance to provide a bit of
>>>degeneration and will act better as current absorbers.
>>>
>>Chokes make flaky fuses.  Ordinary carbon film resistors are easier to
>>blow than chokes, and they are cheaper.  Fast-acting 0.25A 250v fuses
>>would probably work.
>
>Are you suggesting he actually drill 2 holes on the rear apron for fuse
>holders ???????

I would solder the fast-acting 0.25A 250v fuses between the grid pins and
chassis ground.  .

>Seems you were bitchin' about a similar suggestion last week.

The suggestion of mounting grid fuses on the rear panel was not mine.

>In any cases fuses should be in some easily and quickly accessible location.
>Personally, I prefer the chokes since as current absorbers of minor arcs
>from gas, etc they will not blow or collapse. Once the event has passed
>the amp works as before.

It might be interesting to high-pot such a tube immediately after the
suspected gas arc, just to see whether the tube is gassy or not -- unless
you subscribe to the rauchian vanishing gas theorum.  .

#####
It definitely is true that in the vast majority of cases, after one or two
BANGs early in life, the tube continues on for a normal lifetime of