[AMPS] Need HV insulators/feedthru

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Need HV insulators/feedthru
From: wrt@eskimo.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 01:50:29 GMT
On Mon, 08 Dec 1997 21:01:03 +0000, Ron Hooper <ab4ru@stc.net> wrote:

>Hi ALL,
>  I am looking for a good HV connector to bring HV thru a metal plate.
>I have used the Millen HV connectors rated for 5 kv, which pops with
>5500 on them. Any suggestions for a source and what to use. I prefer
>something with a 10kv rating. I installed a large ceramic feed thru and
>it lasted for a could of weeks.
>Thanks Ron
I know you asked for a connector, but here's another approach you
might want to consider.  On my homebrew amp, I just cut a one inch
hole in the back panel, placed a two by two inch piece of 1/8" plastic
over it and drilled a hole in the plastic for the HV wire to go
directly through.  The wire was then soldered to the appropriate point
inside.  There's no connector at all, so it can never fail or come
unplugged, and since there are no metal pins or sockets involved, it's
safer too.  Cost about two cents (if that much).  Works like a charm.

73, Bill W7TI