[AMPS] linearity

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] linearity
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 97 04:44:13 -0800
... ... ...
>I suspect that varying the ratio of screen volts to grid volts on the
>G2DAF may well get the 3/2 power curve due to each grid down to a square
>law for the overall transfer characteristic, although I admit I haven't
>tried doing a mathematical analysis yet.

If the screen potential was being varied at an RF rate, maybe something
of the sort would be possible.  However, in the G2DAF circuit, the screen
potential is varied at a semi-audio rate while the grid is varied at an
RF rate - so never the twain shall be in phase.

>The original idea of the G2DAF was to simplify matters by getting rid of
>the screen and bias supplies. However, better linearity might be
>available if some bias is available.

Indeed, Peter, and a constant screen potential could well result in even
better linearity.  . IMO, the original G2DAF proposal also included the
promise of Class-C-like efficiencies.  .
-  .  When I was a teenager, I saw advertisements in Popular Mechanics
for plans for constructing more efficient carburetors for use in ordinary
automobile engines.  Claims of over 100MPG were pretty common.  There
were also advertisements for plans for constructing various and sundry
perpetual motion machines.
cheers
Rich...

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K