[AMPS] linearity

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] linearity
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 97 21:52:25 -0800
>At 09.34 1997-12-17 -0800, you wrote:
>
>SM3BDZ:
>>>* As said before, I really do like your sense of humour Rich!
>>>* However, regarding efficiency, the resting Ip in a G2DAF amp is very low
>>>and * much lower than amps in AB1 or AB2 = Higher efficiency for G2DAF!!
>>>

>AG6K:
>>The resting current in the Class AB1 amplifiers that I use is 0mA.
>>Within a fraction of a second of not speaking into the microphone, the
>>transceiver's VOX switches to Rx mode, and within 3mS thereafter the
>>amplifier switches to Rx mode.  It's almost like talking on the
>>telephone.
>>-  The efficiency of the AB1 amplifier is roughly 60%.  If the efficiency
>>were an impossible 100%, the S-meter at the receiving end would increase
>>1/3 of one S-unit.
>>-  There's an electronic-switched AB1 grid bias supply at:
>
>Since when did you take TRX vox into account when measuring efficiency
>of an RF-amplifier?

It was not Rich who associated the subject of zero resting current with
efficiency.  You claimed that the resting current in a G2DAF amplifier is
lower than that in a Class AB1 amplifier.   I pointed out that zero
resting current can be obtained by means other than the G2DAF circuit.
cheers
Rich...

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K