[AMPS] tuned choke filters

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] tuned choke filters
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 98 10:13:06 -0800
>Rich says:
>
>>>....... I have 22uF at 4000v of  capacitance
>>much more than what is needed with a resonant-choke filter.
>>cheers, Jordan
>
>I don't totally agree with Rich: having plenty of output capacity has to
>help the dynamic regulation.

This is pretty much true until one arrives at the plateau area above the
knee of the load curve.  With a resoant-choke/C filter, the needed C is
much smaller than would be the case with a C-filter.  .   .  .  Also,
when glitch time arrives, more Joules is not better.

>A minor point is that the choke isn't resonated: it's close to resonance,
>but tuned slightly HF to make it look like a bigger choke.

- The waveform is a bit more complex than simply 2x the mains frequency.
 There seems to be a bit more to it than looking like a bigger choke.
[see Terman]
Cheers, Perer
Rich...

cheers