[AMPS] one more mla2500 question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] one more mla2500 question
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 13:16:20
At 11:58 PM 2/15/98 -0600, Richard Carroll wrote:
>Sounds to me like you may have a power supply problem.  Mine has 2300-2500
>plate volts and I can drive it to 1425 max watts out with no problems. I
>always monitor grid current to be sure it is never excessive. Yours is
>probably doing all it can with that lowered plater voltage.
>
>73, Dick W0EX.
>

>ken cubilo wrote:
>
>> i just fired up my mla2500 amp which i just picked up at a local
>> hamfest.. the manual i
>> got with it is very vague as too operating condx of the 8875 tubes with
>> 35 to 40 watts of
>> drive i get 600 to 700 watts output with the following condx plate
>> voltage 1500v and current of .7 ma can anyone tell me the normal parms
>> of this amp ie idling plate current,
>> max plate current and grid current indications thanks in advance

I'm not familiar with the MLA 2500, but if the HV metering arrangement is
anything like the SB-220 then the "1500v" may be the result of bad
multiplier resistors rather than genuinely low plate voltage.  But can
anyone tell him what the grid current's supposed to be at rated output?
That's what I'd be really worried about, given the price of 8875s.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

"That's WEST Virginia.  Thanks and 73"