[AMPS] Re: TopBand: Re: John Deere boys on 1822.5

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: TopBand: Re: John Deere boys on 1822.5
From: philk5pc@connect.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 19:31:47 -0600
At 10:24 PM 2/19/98 Charlis Summers wrote:
>Hi to all:
>
>What we really need is some 6 foot 7 inch, 275 pound Texan to pay a visit
>to these boys.  Maybe a face to face talk would make some headway because
>everything else, even mailing a copy of the bandplan to them, has to date
>failed.  Their encampement on 1822.5 really has caused some folks,
>including myself, to miss or not hear DX when on.
>
>I know an old timer, W0ZV - I forget the name but don't hear him around any
>more, knows exactly what we out here fight with these guys.

This is the same rationale that our government has been using in foreign
policy. A few "surgical strikes" with smart bombs every time some third world
upstart gets "uppity."

Perhaps those of us who love topband DXing and contesting should pool our
time and resources and do what should have been done years ago when the
restrictions on power and spectrum were removed. Let's make a band plan,
push it through the FCC, and cure the disease once and for all, not just
a band aid approach.

I suggest 1800-1835 as CW only; with 1820-1835 as the DX window. The SSB
DX window would be 1835-1840. The other modes could easily have their
exclusive parts of the band also. The "Gentlemen's Band" has undergone
the same changes over the years that are reflected in our society as a
whole. 160 meters is a prime example of people taking advantage of too
much freedom. How many new laws have been put on the books in the last
20 years? These were necessary because the "bad guys" are out breeding
the Gentlemen. Just a simple fact of life that we should face up to and
act upon.

>An example is South Korea.  They cannot go above 1825.  So, they usually
>always call between 1821 and 1824.5, right in that John Deere splatter.

All my 126 countries were worked between 1820 and 1830. While we are busy
lambasting the "John Deere" boys, let us also address the self-imposed
"DX window" observed by the contesters. This is no less repulsive to me
than the "Deere" problem. Where did they get the idea that all the juicy
DX will move up from their home frequencies (1823-1830) for the duration
of each contest? Many of us work the contests to add a few "new ones" to
our logs. When was the last time you saw a major DXpedition post a QRV
frequency above 1830? Where did the contesters come up with 1830-1835?
Totally unrealistic!

>I have heard them get downright mean with folks before.  They were semi
>that way with W8JI this morning but JI's words did seem to have some
>affect.  What with so much band available, I would hope they would move but
>John Deere owners are a stubborn lot.  I know, I own one!

It is human nature to get mean and stubborn when one's rights are put in
jeopardy. If there was a phone band to go to, I am sure they would go there.
....problem solved forever.

Tom, W8JI brought some very good points for rare DX stations to use in
selecting their frequency of operation. 1820 and 1830 are totally useless
here also, due to broadcast harmonics. We are also blessed here in the
Dallas ares with a fifth harmonic of an FAA beacon on 1825. This is a
high power (and dirty) NDB in Ft.Worth that sends "FT" all the time!
I get to listen to it every morning while trying to eke out a signal from
9M0C!

Let's solve the "Deere" problem once and for all by putting another "law"
on the books. It is way overdue.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC