[AMPS] Re: TopBand: Re: John Deere boys on 1822.5

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: TopBand: Re: John Deere boys on 1822.5
From: philk5pc@connect.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 1998 14:43:27 -0600
At 01:46 PM 2/21/98 -0500, David Thompson wrote:

>We had this discussion and neither the ARRL or any IARU contry is going to
>put together a band plan until the band is 100% amateur (at least 1.8 to
>1.9).  95% of the time this is what happens.  Most on SSB do not go below
1.84.

A point well taken, Dave. I hope this occurs soon!.

>Not totally unrealistic...More DX can work 1830 to 1835 than below 1830.
>Thats why I and ARRL changed the DX window from the previous 1825-1830.

You are looking at the world strictly from a contester's veiwpoint. A lot
of us are not looking for multiplyers during a contest...we are looking for
new countries. Most of us don't need Germany and France anymore. The least
you can do is get together with the DX community and try to drive the point
home
to these rare DX expeditions to observe your 1830 and up DX window, if so
many countries are restricted as you say. It would up their QSO rates if they
were where the majority of the world is legal to operate. I do not recall
ANY DXpedition in the last 15 years that has posted a QRV frequency above
1828! Someone needs to get together on this.

Even with your present window, you and I both know that many big gun contest
stations crowd the window at both ends,  with signals so big my 250hz filter
is useless. They would never crowd a band edge like that! The reduces your
window
to a mere 3 khz or so. You could at LEAST widen the window to 10khz or more.
160m is a BIG band...why bunch up the DX to such a small area in a DX contest?

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC