[AMPS] Re: big boy toys

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: big boy toys
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 98 12:02:12 -0800
>Could someone explain how 3000 watt, 50% duty cycle amplifiers are legal in
>the amateur service in the US?

30,000w amplifiers are legal for use in amateur service provided that
they are not delivering more than 1500w plus 10% to the antenna.
(1650w).  A friend's station was fcc inspected.  They measured 1780w,
said ok,  'have a nice day', and left.

>Or is my copy of Part 97 out of date?
>(Specifically 97.313, but 97.317 also implies that type acceptance requires
>outputs below 1500 watts)
As I read it, Peter, the limit has something to do with decibels of gain,
supposedly to make amateur service amplifiers unusuable with 5w CB
radios.  However, many CBers own amateur radio transceivers.  The whole
business is much adoo about nothing.
-  The bottom-line is seemingly do not cause interference to thy fellows,
and the enforcement gods will ignore thee.  .

cheers
Rich...

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K