[AMPS] electrolytic caps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] electrolytic caps
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h @ juno.com)
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 17:01:02 EST
On Sun, 22 Mar 1998 13:23:50 +0000 "Roger D. Johnson" <n1rj@ime.net>
writes:
>Looks like time to rebuild the old L-7 power supply. Where can one
>obtain high
>voltage axial lead electrolytic caps these days?
>
>Thanks, Roger

I have not found quality low ESR/high temp axial lead caps in quite a
while.....the last batch I found for my NCL-2000 was Mallory TC series
but they are pretty much special order now.
Stay away from bargain jobs made offshore, they will not stand up to the
high ripple currents in that PS. Nichicon had a quality cap but they are
discontinued.

I would suggest rebuilding and rewiring for Mallory CGS style Computer
Grade caps; the 210mF will fit fine....other brands are compatible.
Also change the equalizing resistors to 100K 5W metal oxide. All parts
are available at Mouser.   New caps and less heat will give that PS years
of new life.

The CDE 381LX series is another good cap (low ESR and 105 deg. C) but
they are made for snap-in PC mounting...I use those in Dentrons,
National, etc.

73  Carl  KM1H

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]