[AMPS] Any *Good* Amps?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Any *Good* Amps?
From: sbabb@pop.tiac.net (Scott Babb)
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 21:50:05 +0000
Are there any "good" amps out there?

Like a good doo-bee, I've read through the AMPS archives looking
for info on amps that might meet my needs.  It seems that every
amp I've considered has at least a few of the AMPS experts
talking about the various evils of that amp.  Either it has a
problem with VHF parasitics, or it uses tubes that cost more than
the amp is worth, or it won't behave with a solid-state rig unless
you sacrifice a goat every full moon, or *something* is wrong.

I'm new to contesting and amps, and I'm looking for something
inexpensive (50 cents/watt or less) that will do the following:

1.  Work 160-10 meters.  WARC DXing would be nice, too.
2.  Have tubes that can be replaced without taking a bank loan.
3.  Put out at least 500W CW and 750W SSB.  1kW+ would be nice.
4.  Work well enough for contesting and DXing, including RTTY.
5.  Behave nicely with a solid-state rig (IC-751A.)

Is that too much to ask?  I've considered the Dentron Clipperton L
but some seem to think that this amp is just waiting to be
possesed by fifth-level minor demons.  I thought that I might like
to try my hand at converting a MLA-2500 to use either a pair of
4cx400's or a single 4cx800, but I've seen postings that allude to
"other problems" with this amp.  If I could get an Alpha 91 for
about $750 (not bloody likely), I'd jump on it!  Should I be
looking at a used AL-80A/B (what's the difference, BTW?)  Are the
811A-tubed Ameritrons really so good that people can get nearly
the new street price for a used one?  Should I take out a second
mortgage and build a 4cx1600b monster from the ground up?  Is
there an amp for me that isn't just waiting to oscillate, arc,
melt, splatter, or give my dog heartworms?

Thanks and 73 de WA1VHT
Scott