[AMPS] ARCING MORE

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] ARCING MORE
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 98 03:23:52 -0800

>On Thu, 16 Apr 98 10:49:45 -0500 Jon Ogden <jono@webspun.com> writes:
>
>>Excuse me if I am dense,
>

>Possibly OR you didnt bother reading the original post Jon.
>

> but how can operator error produce an arc?
>

>Wrong antenna is a classic way to a path of destruction.
>

>>If
>>the amp is completely stable and bullet proof to begin with and no
>>components are damaged, how did the arc begin?  Sure operator error could
>>have damaged another component and that failure caused the arc. That
>>component would need to be replaced as well as the cap.
>

>I fail to follow your reasoning...it is certainly not logical.  In this
>case the capacitor was the weakest link and failed first.

The capacitor has not failed.  My guess is that the withstanding
potential has been reduced a bit by the fireworks.  A high-pot. tester
should be used to evaluate the Tune C.

>Otherwise it
>could have been the bandswitch or even a tube if it was one of those
>fussy ceramic ones.
>

>>I'd definitely follow AG6K's advice and check the parasitic supressor
>>resistor resistance.
>
>Pure horse s..t

Checking two, critical components to see if they are damaged is a bad
idea, Carl?

cheers
Rich...

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K