[AMPS] Parasitics

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Parasitics
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 14:05:13 EDT
On Fri, 24 Apr 1998 14:35:27 +0100 Peter Chadwick
<Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com> writes:
>>At least there appears to be general agreement to phase out the old
>>carbon compositions.
>
>Is the problem with carbon comps that the ones available are too
>small?

The largest available on this side of the pond is 2W Peter.

>There used to be 5 watt ones that were 2.5 inches long and 3/8, maybe
>1/2
>inch diameter. They may be OK.

I have tried a few of those and due to age or whatever they destruct very
fast compared to the more modern Allen Bradley style. Possibly the carbon
gets moisture contamination over 30-40 years...dont know.  I do use some
of those in high values for 6M antenna choke forms....similar to the
Ohmite Z-50, etc. I believe they were originally rated at 2W.

>And Rich, tnks fer the info on vertical mounting of vacuum variables.

Funny, but most of the military amps with vacuum variables are horizontal
mount. With a mounting flange on both ends I fail to see any reason for
vertical mounting or other mechanical complications. In fact a vertically
stacked Tune and Load may take up less precious real estate than a pair
vertically mounted.
Even some of the ancient vacuums had the far end set up to mount in an
oversize fuse clip.
Perhaps someone can refer to the actual Jennings ( only one of many
manufacturers) quote and/or catalog year and page.

Now...I'm talking about small 10-15KV vacuums....not some monsters as
used at the BBC, etc.

73  Carl  KM1H

>73
>
>Peter G3RZP
>
>--

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]