[AMPS] Reliability of Tube vs Solid State Amps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Reliability of Tube vs Solid State Amps
From: w4eto@rmii.com (Richard W. Ehrhorn)
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 16:07:46 -0600
Hello gents,

I'd agree with just about everything Jon says, except that tubes are
human-made components and subject to a certain percentage of random
failures due to construction variations, just as are transistors. However,
in ETO and ALPHA/POWER products "typical" or "average" tube lifetime is
closer to 15,000 hours than to 8000. Many are still going after 20,000
hours. A very few will fail at 5000 or 10,000 hours, occasionally maybe
even 3000 hours, in ANY amp. Incidentally, it's conventional to refer to
"filament-on" hours, but frequent on/off switching of filament power will
generally reduce life due to the thermal stresses created.

73,   Dick  W0ID