[AMPS] Education ( was: Another arc question)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Education ( was: Another arc question)
From: jono@webspun.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Sat, 9 May 98 10:35:32 -0500
>Jon, I again apologize for being so rough; my emotions do get the best
>of me when higher education issues come into play.  Blame it on my
>choice to be a regent for several colleges for 20 years, but it is a
>subject closer to my heart than anything save my religion.  Thus I do
>get out of hand.

Arlen,

Thanks for the note.  I appreciate it.  And I was not horribly offended
by your first note, nor did I think it was totally out of line.

I agree with what you said.  And you are correct, based on what I was
taught, I *SHOULD* have known the answer to the question I asked.

It is unfortunate that 9 years after graduation most of that stuff is
forgotten.  In the commercial world it isn't used.  So we can blame it on
companies as well.  In fact, in large corporations one gets pigeon-holed
into a specific specialty and that is all you do.  So your focus becomes
VERY narrow.  For 4 1/2 years all I worked on were the initial driver
stages of a cellular power amplifier.  During that time, I did no wok on
high power stages, VCO design, synthesizer design, RX design, etc.  So
unused knowledge is lost.

Blame it on me too.  I should have done more to keep my skills up to
date.  So I should have done more to continue my learning process to keep
that knowledge fresh.  Unfortunately, most of us are too short-sighted to
see that.

>>>Not learning what you're exposed to creates ignorance.
>>
>>WRONG.  That's about the most arrogant attitude that I can think of.
>>Ignorance comes from being afraid to ask questions regardless of wether
>
>I'm sorry you took that one so parochially, Jon.  Please look at my
>statement again, with a larger view.  If you ask your questions (and I
>do agree - note that I've not called your questions dumb or stupid,
>merely surprising, which is not reprehensible), get an answer and still
>do not learn from a second exposure, you are still ignorant.

In this perspective I agree.  If I continued to ask the same question I
did, then yes, call me ignorant!  :-)  Thanks for the clarification.
(Don't they say that "Ignorance is bliss?")

>  The
>ignorance ceases when you do learn what you're exposed to.  Exposure may
>be force-fed, as in a classroom, it may be coincidental, such as
>watching the engineer on the next bench (my personal favorite method of
>learning) or it might be because you ask the right questions.

Yes, very true.

>I apologize again for my earlier outburst.

No problem.  I tend to lose my cool a lot!  It's something we all do.
We're human.

Also, I will respond to your post on Intermod like I promised.  I just
haven't had the time to dig through all my notes to find the equations
and compare them to what you put down.  I've prided myself on having a
good knowledge of IM.  Your post makes me question some of that, so I
want to make sure I have all my facts correct.  Not sure when I'll get to
it, but within the next week or so.

73 es thanks,

Jon
KE9NA