[AMPS] Another arc question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Another arc question
From: G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 16:03:58 +0100
Rich Measures wrote:
>>>Sample problem:   Part I:   Ls = 200nH, Rs = 200 ohms, f = 100MHz.  What
>>>is the Admittance, Y, Mr.  White?  A running description of your solution
>>>would be helpful.
>>
>>No, I won't bite. There is absolutely no need to drag admittance into
>>this discussion.
>>
>Then on to Part II:  what is the parallel-equivalent resistance of 200nH
>in parallel with 200 ohms at 100MHz?  (presumably using the method
>described below)

200 ohms, at ANY frequency, by definition - no calculation is required.

(Hopefully we are both assuming idealized components here, ie no
parasitic L or C in the resistor, and no parasitic R of C in the
inductor.)

Part III - it's my turn: what is the series-equivalent form, ie what are
Rs and Xs at 100MHz?

XL = 2*pi*100E6*200E-9 = 125.66 ohms

XL is equal to Xp by definition, because L and R are connected in
parallel.

R = 200 ohms = Rp by definition as we hopefully agreed above.

Then, using the equations I gave last time (out of the ARRL Handbook
since time immemorial):

Rs = Rp * Xp * Xp / (Rp * Rp + Xp * Xp)

   = 56.61 ohms

Xs = Rp * Rp * Xp / (Rp * Rp + Xp * Xp)

   = 90.10 ohms - at 100MHz that's 143.40nH

Q = Xs/Rs = 1.59

(Check arithmetic by calculating Q directly from the input values:
1/Q = Xp/Rp = 0.63, so Q = 1.59 which is correct.)

What do you make Xs, Rs and Q, Rich?

What does this mean in real-world terms?
It means that at exactly 100MHz, a network analyser or R-X bridge cannot
tell the difference between {200 ohms in parallel with 200nH} and its
series equivalent which is {56.61 ohms in series with 143.40nH}. The two
networks have exactly the same properties at that frequency. That's what
"equivalent" means in this context.

                           http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek