[AMPS] Re: Parasitics

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Parasitics
From: jono@webspun.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Tue, 19 May 98 10:04:39 -0500
To: <amps@contesting.com>
>> Date:          Fri, 15 May 1998 19:10:08 -0500
>
>> I think that's pretty cool!  It shows that Rich's supressor idea *DOES*
>> indeed work.  In a sense you are getting extra resistance out of the
>> inductor.  And that extra gives you a lower Rp which means lower VHF gain!
>
>Hi Jon,
>
>Can you explain how lower Rp in the suppressor produces less VHF
>gain?
>
>If lower Rp means LESS gain, why use a suppressor Jon? What is the Rp
>of a dead short?

Arrgh!  I thought we worked through all that math!  Gain is directly
proportional to Rp.  Rp is different from the R of the supressor
resistor.  Did you not just read Ian's notes?  Anyhow, if gain is
proportional to Rp doesn't it makes sense you want to lower it?

So that's why......

>It isn't the nichrome suppressor won't work, it's just that:
>
>1.) The suppressor tested was NOT the one Rich sells.
>
>2.) Lower Rp is not always a good idea.

You cricizie the "hairpins."  What difference does it make what kind of
inductor one uses?  It still has inductance?

Please explain why lower Rp is not always good.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden