[AMPS] Ip:Ig

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Ip:Ig
From: w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 07:18:55 +0000
To: <amps@contesting.com>
> Date:          Thu, 11 Jun 1998 18:10:34 -0700
> From:          "Lane C. Zeitler" <km3g@cts.com>

> Gents,
> Looking for a "standard" to go by in regards to the Ip to Ig ratio of the
> older triodes, ie 572B, 811A, 3-500Z, etc.

There is no standard, it depends on many factors.

> Can't find any published data/specs on the 572B Ig and apparently Eimac did
> not publish and "max Ig" rating for their 3-500Z.

That's because Ig can go all over the place depending on the
application. With light loading the same amount of Ig will cause more
dissipation than with heavier loading.

I think you asked a question about the AL-80A ratings. I looked for a
manual, but no longer have one. I think you'll find the manual values
you quoted are for tuneup, not during operation. As I recall,
operating Ip is specified as a lower value, 400 mA.

Eimac approved the operation of the 3-500Z according to Ameritron's
instructions, and gave full warranty. The SSB ratings were for IVS
service, NOT CCS service as speced in the data sheets. If I'm not
mistaken, the CW current ratings are 400 mA in the manual, and the
550 mA is a tune-up only spec.

IVS ratings allow higher power operation on SSB in ICAS service, IVS
rating approval is or was subject to Eimac engineering approval

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com