[AMPS] Ip:Ig

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Ip:Ig
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 98 08:33:56 -0800

To: <amps@contesting.com>
>> Date:          Thu, 11 Jun 1998 18:10:34 -0700
>> From:          "Lane C. Zeitler" <km3g@cts.com>
>
>> Gents,
>> Looking for a "standard" to go by in regards to the Ip to Ig ratio of the
>> older triodes, ie 572B, 811A, 3-500Z, etc.
>
>There is no standard, it depends on many factors.
>
>> Can't find any published data/specs on the 572B Ig and apparently Eimac did
>> not publish and "max Ig" rating for their 3-500Z.
>
>That's because Ig can go all over the place depending on the
>application. With light loading the same amount of Ig will cause more
>dissipation than with heavier loading.

why?

>I think you asked a question about the AL-80A ratings. I looked for a
>manual, but no longer have one. I think you'll find the manual values
>you quoted are for tuneup, not during operation. As I recall,
>operating Ip is specified as a lower value, 400 mA.
>
>Eimac approved the operation of the 3-500Z according to Ameritron's
>instructions, and gave full warranty.

No copy of Eimac's supposed  letter of approval for a 550mA anode-current
rating has been published.  It seems a bit odd that the Heath SB-1000
instruction manual makes a similar claim about operation at unreasonably
high anode-mA.  During a conversation c. 1990, Mr. Rauch told me that he
was the designer of the SB-1000.  As I recall, at one time Mr. Rauch was
a co-owner of Ameritron.

>The SSB ratings were for IVS service, NOT CCS service as speced in the data
sheets.

This sort of dual-rating applies to indirectly-heated oxide-cathode type
tubes to prevent flaking of the barium-oxide and strontium-oxide emissive
coating during N-zero-N operation.  However, since the 3-500Z's
tungsten-carbide emissive coating is epitaxially-bonded to the
tungsten-thorium alloy filament wire, the coating will not flake off, and
no such ratings apply.  For directly-heated cathode tubes, the issue is
peak-emission capability for linear operation.   For the 3-400Z/8163 or
3-500Z/8002 the peak anode-current emission capability c. 1200mA.

>If I'm not mistaken, the CW current ratings are 400 mA in the manual, and the
>550 mA is a tune-up only spec.

... seems unlikely based on my conversations with owners.

>IVS ratings allow higher power operation on SSB in ICAS service, IVS
>rating approval is or was subject to Eimac engineering approval

Not for directly-heated cathode tubes, Mr. Rauch.  .  What goes around
comes around.

Rich...