[AMPS] Re: SSB Power Output

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: SSB Power Output
From: bob.sutton@xtra.co.nz (Bob Sutton)
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 12:04:27 +1200
At 18:39 22/07/98 -0500, you wrote:

SNIP

>However, if you have just a dipole or a vertical,
>you are much better off investing a few hundred bucks in a really good
>antenna and purchase a 1 KW amp for less than a 1.5KW.  a six dB
>improvement in TX AND RX gain is far better than just a 1.75 dB
>improvement in TX power.

Very well put.  It's unfortunate some can't put up a real antenna due to
zoning rules.

SNIP

>But 1.75 dB might make a difference in some rare instances.  Those are
>pretty rare.  If it makes such a tremendous difference all the time, then
>why am I able to work rare DX with 100 Watts?

You are a patient man Jon Ogden!

Seriously, once the 50 or so big-guns in the pile-up are out of the way its
easy for the rest ... if you can wait that long ... and the dx stays around
that long!

73 ... Bob, ZL1RS