[AMPS] Re: SSB Power Output

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: SSB Power Output
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 98 08:35:41 -0500
>I think a 50% power increase may make more difference than one would think
>in purely engineering terms, exactly why I don't know.  I've had people tell
>me I've gone up three S points when I've upped the power by 6dB or so.
>Lousy S meter calibration no doubt.  In a contest the feel good factor comes
>into it too.

If you've upped the power by 6 dB you've increased it a factor of 4
times.  Six dB IS significant.  1.5 dB??  Well, it CAN help don't get me
wrong.  It's just not a curall.

And actually since S units are calibrated in dB, if you increased power
by 6 dB you should have gone up 6 S units, not 3.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden