[AMPS] Properties of plastics at 10 GHz

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Properties of plastics at 10 GHz
From: kz5qdx@communique.net (Douglas Bradford)
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 04:13:44 -0500
What did they use to tell us ? U can't learn or hear while
ur talking.       Guess we gonna have to add.
"U can't read because ur too busy typing"

BTW Jon, that  " ( rare) DX" that took u 4 hours to work
and proud of --  is not in the 200 most wanted countries.

Geurts, Gerard wrote:

> Rich wrote:
>
> > >- - - To check it out, put a styrene cup half full of water,
> > >along with a sample of the plastic you want test, in a microwave oven
> > and
> > >blast away for a dozen or so seconds.
> >
> Jon replied:
>
> > Ever notice that when you put a styrene cup of water in the microwave
> > that the water gets hot but the styrene doesn't.  It certainly can't
> > be
> > because the styrene is "absorbing" the energy and then by conduction
> > heating the water.  No, the styrene doesn't get hot because it PASSES
> > all
> > the energy that goes through it.  The heating that takes place is the
> > interaction of the microwave energy with the water molecules making
> > the
> > molecules vibrate and thereby producing heat.  With a lot of energy
> > applied to it an abosrptive material will get hot just like your dummy
> >
> > load.  So if the styrene material absorbed enough energy to make a cup
> > of
> > water boil, it would melt.  It would certainly have to be much hotter
> > than the boiling point of water even if it DID absorb energy.  Heat
> > transfer to the water would be very inefficient as the water would
> > give
> > off heat to the air as well as the styrofoam.  So in order to get a
> > high
> > enough temperature like that you'd heat the styrene past melting
> > point.
> >
> > Rich, I hate to say it but you are incorrect on this one.
> >
> I hate to say it, but Rich is right on this one. The problem very often
> is that Jon does not read the original messages properly. In this case,
> Rich never said that the styrofoam heats up. The cup with water is a
> dummy load to make sure the microwave can get rid of its energy
> somewhere. Rich writes: 'put a styrene cup half full of water, along
> with a sample of the plastic you want test, in a microwave oven and
> blast away for a dozen or so seconds.' Notice Jon that Rich talks about
> a cup of water AND a sample of the material you want to test. Read and
> understand the message before you hit the send button next time you want
> to impress us with your superior knowledge.
>
> Gerard, AA3ES

"Ditto Gerald."

73  Brad  KZ5Q
Long  Live  CW