[AMPS] FET Wanted

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] FET Wanted
From: davek@medphys.ucl.ac.uk (Dave Kirkby)
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 1998 11:28:12 +0100
Alek Petkovic wrote:

> G'day all,
> I have a 14V/20A switchmode power supply which is in need of a new
> Power
> MOSFET. The one that's in the supply has got a hole in it and all the
> smoke
> has escaped from within. I need to find a new one with all the smoke
> still
> inside.
>
> The type number of the transistor is IRFPE50. It's a 800V device
> capable of
> 14A or so.

Its available from Farnell here in the UK, or at least was in the April
98 catalogue, which is the only one within 1 foot of the top of the
rubbish pile on my desk.  I believe Farnell is known as something else
in the USA, but dont know if they exist down-under. Anyway, Farnell sell
them for 10.14 + VAT.  The abreviated spec is:

VDS=800 V, IDmax (cont)=8.1A, ID (max, pulsed)=32.4A, PD (at 25 deg
C)=180 W. Its made by International rectifier.

If you really get stuck, I could get one. However, unless they are used
in parallel and or bridge (which is quite easy with FETs), one would be
pushing ones luck with a 20A supply. The APT8075BNR is the same voltage,
case etc, but 13A Id  and 52A peak, 300W dissipation, and costs #13.10 +
17.5% VAT.

As a matter of interest, I personally find fault-finding SMPS's a very
hard process. There are usually several feedback loops, which means the
input gets cut off as soon as the output is out of spec. Finding one
damaged component does not mean the problem is just that.

dave kirkby, G8WRB