[AMPS] Dust off the Amp & 4-1000 & 3-1000 Tube sources?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Dust off the Amp & 4-1000 & 3-1000 Tube sources?
From: hugo@banet.net (Hugo W. Catta)
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 22:22:22 -0400

robert senesi wrote:

> Dusting off the old amp after 20 years of inactivity, I have a few

<... snip ...>

> Just went to a fairly large hamfest today (Gaithersburg, MD)and the
> selection of amplifier parts for sale is absolutely pathetic(nothing for
> sale). What is happening out there?
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob K8NY

Bob:

It depends.... today I went to the Hudson Division Convention´s hamfest in
Long Island NY, and except high voltage transformers and cabinets, I could
build several amplfiers with what was there for sale.
In NJ or LI, NY is easier for some reason to find these tipe of parts than
in say closer to NYC, where you find lots of CB and computer junk, not
parts: TRASH. In this particular ham-fest, today,  there were  vendors with
lots of switches for Hi power, vacuum relays vacuum variables, vacuum tubes
and other stuff that rather seldom show up in the other places.
Sometimes, specially the OTs don´t "unpack" all their stuff. I´ve found
perhaps more "treasures" under the tables that on top of them, (i.e. the
bank of capacitors for my amp´s power supply, B&W big coils, and of course
transformers and blowers).
It´s a little like unearthing DX, at times you pass by and don´t "see" them.

Today I had my heart set on a freq. counter.... couldn´t find any.
Lets wait until next weekend, :-)

73,
Hugo
CX9AAK\W2

P.S. Hobbies don´t die, people kill them.