[AMPS] Dust off the Amp & 4-1000 & 3-1000 Tube sources?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Dust off the Amp & 4-1000 & 3-1000 Tube sources?
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 98 23:23:17 -0000
>A) Are there any special procedures I need to be aware of before running
>the tube and amp (grounded grid 4-1000 or 3-1000/ B&W 850A
>inductor/Jennings VacVariable Tune cap) other than normal operational
>procedures?

I was told to do the following:

When turning on the fillaments use a variac and gradually turn the
filament voltage from zero volts to 7.5 volts over a period of about 1
minute.  Then let the tube bake (with cooling obviously) with just
filament voltage applied for about 30 minutes.  You should be up and
running just fine.

Don't know if this really does much, but I bought a tube from someone I
respected who told me to follow this.

>B) Are there any current sources for surplus/used/new-old-stock 4-1000's
>and 3-1000's?

RF Parts sells NEW 4-1000s but they are around $1200!  You can get ones
from Surplus Bandits of Nebraska, but there are plenty of guys on the
reflector who will sell you a tube for around $100.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden