[AMPS] Series Parallel Electrolytics & Current

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Series Parallel Electrolytics & Current
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 98 01:38:39 -0800

>I need to build a filter bank for 8 kv @ 3 AMPS, WHAT are the
>considerations  for series and and parralel operation of two
>electrolytic banks to obtain 40 to 50 uf at 10kv?

 105º deg C rated electrolytic capacitors last much longer than 85º C rated
electrolytics.  -  -   I would use 2x 24 Panasonic [Matsushita] 470uF, 450v,
105º C rated units in series parallel. This would deliver about 40uF @10.8kWV.
I would use one 100k ohm, 3w equalizer resistor across each pair of paralleled
470uF units.  It is my opinion that for SSB operation, less C would work ok.
Also, I would mount the individual electrolytics on a
7mm or more-thick acrylic sheet with silicone rubber adhesive to reduce case
stress.   (Digikey currently sells these caps. at c. $12.20 each in >10 unit
quantities.)

> Oil capacitors are
>hard or too expensive to find. The Current rating of most
>electrolytics are around 1 amp, how would they operate at this current?

 At 3A on RTTY,   Hot.  The solution is to use paralleled units to divide the
ripple current burden.  It's not a bad idea for electrolytics to be mounted
with air gaps and to use a bit of forced air cooling.

-  later, Igor

Rich. Measures.  Web site:  www.vcnet.com/measures