[AMPS] Series Parallel Electrolytics & Current

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Series Parallel Electrolytics & Current
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 98 19:48:34 -0800

  He said he needs 40uF @10kV.  I provided a solution.

>> >oil filled and is available for $125 (new).
>> >This is less than the computer caps in the quanties needed and
>> is superior.
>> >Probably smaller too.
>>
>> The 105º C electrolytics are 35mm dia. by 50mm in length, and
>> light in weight.
>
>24 of these are smaller?

compared to a 40uF oil filled 10kWV capacitor, less total volume and much
lighter.

>> >No equalizing resistors or worry about matched units. No concern
>> about how
>> >much current to draw through series devices or cooling.
>> >
>> >There are virtually no disadvantages to oil over electrolytics.
>>
>> Some have much lower ripple current ratings than high quality
>> electrolytics.
>>
>> >Igor, it sounds like you're making a "real" amp. Most manufacturers use
>> >computer caps because at lower voltages they are cheaper in the
>> > toy desktop
>> >models.
>> >Your real amp voltages require a real capacitor.
>> >
>> I built a tetrode with handles amplifier that delivered over
>> 1150v pk into 50 ohms.   The power supply delivered 9100v no
>> load. It used a compact, lightweight bank of electrolytic
>> capacitors, mounted with silicone rubber, on an acrylic sheet.
>> The measured power gain of the amplifier was x100.  The power
>> supply performed with little heating and no perceptable ripple on
>> the transmitted voice signal
>
>And one can wire together 20 diodes

20 diodes per leg would be needed for an approx.  14kV supply.   Whew!  Now
we're talking X-rays.  An 8349, Dan?

> per string in a rectifier, is that
>better than a high quality modular block?

Yes.  Individual rectifiers have superior heat dissipation ability.  Pot 'em
and their ability to cool themselves is reduced.  A string of individual
rectifiers occupy less total space due to the fact that no heatsink is  needed.
 //  For a 9kV no load supply, roughly (13) 1N5408s per leg would be needed.

>Maybe it's possible but not as practical.

Not as snazzy but it is electrically-superior since junction temperature is
reduced.  //  From a price standpoint, (10) 1N5408s cost approx. $2.50.
Compare that to the price of a block rect. assy. rated at 10kV @3A. -
including the price of the needed heatsink.

-  later, Dan

Rich...