[AMPS] C & LC Connectors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] C & LC Connectors
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 01:32:03 -0400

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998 16:58:34 -0600 Tom Norris <badger@telalink.net>
writes:

>Now *I* am confused, I had thought the threaded version of
>the C was the HN.

It is easy to get confused by incomplete data!  Yes, the HN and the C are
what you thought. The C is not rated for outdoor use wheras the HN is. We
used many C in the Navy.

Actually, I would not use C or BNC in any enviroment where there will be
a lot of disconnects, etc. They both DO WEAR OUT.
I prefer TNC and N (HN) for reliability, noise and return loss
reasons...but my concerns are usually UHF and above.

 BUT, both the C and HN are for RG-214,
>etc, but if I remember correctly, the LC is a larger connector
>for a larger size cable.

Originally used with RG-17 cable and its varieties. Andrew and others
offer the LC for various Heliax type cables also.

>We use C connectors at work on our Ludlum pulse generators
>and radiation monitor gear.
>
>Regardless, both are relatively expensive connectors, and I won;t
>ever be running enough power to use more than a PL-259 or N.
>
>Trivia Note: the NOAA weather transmitters in the middle TN area
>use HN connectors on their outputs and filters, etc. They run 1KW+
>24/7. I believe they use plain old RG-214 for the jumpers, with 7/8"
>run to the antenna.
>
>73
>

>Tom

Tom, I am looking for several HN connectors of differing sexes, etc. Can
you point me to a reasonable priced source?   Surplus is fine...as long
as it is not SS Bandits in Nebraska.

73  Carl  KM1H

>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]