[AMPS] C & LC Connectors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] C & LC Connectors
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 12:06:32 -0400

On Thu, 22 Oct 98 10:05:21 -0000 Jon Ogden <jono@enteract.com> writes:

>>C connectors are for RG-213 size cable. LC are for RG-17 size and
>Heliax.
>>They are completely different.
>
>While this is true, there are other cable sizes that fit as well.  In
>my
>catalog right in front of me:
>
>LC: Available cables seem to be RG-119, RG-218, 50GD (?), 50GP (?),
>RG-18, RG-219, KX-14, 0.393, 0.433.
>
>Some of these may be Heliax designators.  I am not sure.  I don't know

I distinctly said RG-17 size cable which inferred there are others
included.
The RG-17 family includes 17, 17A, 18, 18A, 177, 218, 219, 295. I am also
sure there are numerous other LC connector variants to fit even more
cables.

>what the GD and GP cables are.  I sell for a French company and those
>doggone Europeans have all sorts of strange hardware!
>
>I didn't see any reference to RG-17 though.  Is one of the numbers I
>gave
>similar?

I believe 17 is obsolete and replaced with 218,219 or 295. I have not
kept up with all the changes in numbers.  With low loss Heliax so readily
available these days the solid dielectric 17 type has pretty much
disappeared in commercial use.
I still have a few 100-200' rolls of 17 and 177 ( double shielded
version) with connectors and N adaptors in the garage.  Havent used it
since 1970 when I moved from NH to Chicago....keep forgetting I still
have it!

>C: Available cable sizes for 50 Ohms: 0.196 diameter, 0.393 diameter,
>0.433 dia, 0.196 dia
>Other references do show it as usable with RG-213, RG-214, RG-10,
>RG-12,
>RG-215

The C pretty much offers the same options as the N.

>Someone a couple of days ago asked me privately about impedance for
>the C
>connectors.  I told him that they were 50 Ohms.  However, 75 Ohm and
>93
>Ohm versions are also available.

That is a problem for uninformed flea market scroungers. BNC, N, C and
probably others are available in multiple impedences.
The 75 Ohm male N has a smaller diameter center pin for example. While it
possible to trim and fit a 50 Ohm RG-213 center conductor,  the mating to
a 50 Ohm female will be tenuous at best and usually lead to
intermittents, etc.

73  Carl   KM1H

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]