[AMPS] SB220 Failure

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB220 Failure
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 11:33:07 -0500

On Sat, 28 Nov 1998 01:55:04 -0800 Rich Measures <measures@vc.net>
writes:

>>Hi Folks:
>>
>>I finally got around to wiring the shack in our new home for 220VAC,
>and
>>plugged in my vintage SB220 for 48 hours of CW contesting. After the
>>step-start circuit disengaged, there was a load pop and flash from
>the
>>high voltage section behind the meters. The amp had been off for six
>>months. I checked the
>>AC mains, and found 245V! The old QTH had 220-225V ... and the amp
>had
>>run flawlessly at this voltage for 15 years. My theory (and I am
>asking
>>your opinion) is that the old filter caps probably decided the 10%+
>extra
>>voltage was too much! BTW, the diode board was replaced last year
>with
>>one of Harbach's.
>
>Why speculate?  In less than five minutes, you could be looking at the
>
>electrolytics'  vent holes.  If you see white deposits, the caps are
>history.  While you have it open, to reduce filter cap. temperature,
>the
>eight 30k 7w resistors should be beplaced with Matsushita 3w 100k ohm
>mof
>resistors, or something of equal quality.

BAD advice IMO. The caps should be checked with the original resistors
first for voltage drop. A good string will show a 10-20V variation at the
most. Replacing resistors across well aged caps could be asking for a
wide voltage variation and more failures.

73  Carl  KM1H

.  If the caps are ok, I
>would check the 0.82 ohm grid current shunt R.  If the resistor is
>damaged, either a tube is gassy or an intermittent vhf parasite took
>place.  .  If the resistance of either one of the vhf supp. resistors
>is
>more than 50% too high, a parasitic is indicated.
>>
>-  later, Dennis
>

>Rich...
>
>R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures
>

>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]