[AMPS] RE: [Henry] Henry 8K at 1500 watts Out -- Warning Long

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] RE: [Henry] Henry 8K at 1500 watts Out -- Warning Long
From: RFpower@radiodan.com (Radiodan W7RF)
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 16:08:30 -0800
Jim, You wrote,

<(which in the 8K is something like 4200 volts,  I believe)
The 8K plate is 5400 VDC no load.
Rich wrote,
> In order to
> >produce this much anode current, c. 400w of drive is needed.
250-300 watts typically gives 5000 watts out.

Jim Wrote,
 In the case of the Henry 8K,  the inductance of the tank
> is tuned,  while the capacitance is fixed by doorknob
> caps,  I think.
YES, tank C is switched by band frequency range, L is roller inductor as
shown on my site.

So,  I see no harm to the 8K in operating it at low drive,
> and constraining it's power output to legal limits,  where
> it evidently provides very linear operation;  but at the
> cost of probably very poor efficiency.  After all,  the
> AC mains are probably delivering 8 or 10 kW of power
> to the 8K power supply,  and with only 1500 coming out,
> that is only about 15% efficiency,  hi.
More like 50% at lower drive, depending on many factors..... Tuneup at
specific power level, frequency, load, etc.

I believe the result is very long life of the amp
> components,  and a very nice on-the-air resulting
> signal,  SSB,  CW and AM (since the amp transfer
> characteristic resulting is apparently so very
> linear,  a low power transceiver's AM signal
> can be amplified very nicely by the 8K,  I think).

Yes, buyers of 8K ULTRAs do so for many reasons (there are many different
places to use them), but mostly because at or below design power out, it
provides a clean, reliable signal. Don't forget, the ULTRA buyer is never a
first time amplifier owner. Usually he had to prove to himself indeed that
other attractively priced amplifier is NOT the "same for less" he hoped for!
A lesson relearned every day.

73, Dan Magro W7RF, (member SCDXC, SCCC)
Rugged, Reliable Henry HF Amps are "Instant on" for RF Power now!
DXers/Contesters/Ragchewers get your HENRY from RADIODAN for LESS!
***Subscribe to the HENRY reflector at www.qth.net <http://www.qth.net>
***
www.radiodan.com <http://www.radiodan.com> ??? RFpower@radiodan.com
<mailto:RFpower@radiodan.com> A trip to our web site is worth the click!