[AMPS] Henry 3K HV Plate Transformer, replacement

To: <>
Subject: [AMPS] Henry 3K HV Plate Transformer, replacement
From: (
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 21:30:31 -0800
Dahl is expensive but worth every penny. The original plate xmfrs in the
older Henry's truely do suck. I have personally replaced five over the last
four years for various Henry owners. One of them was my own 1KD-5. Not sure
if they were Triads or ECA. Two were 2K decks and the other three were
1KD-5s.  Never understood why Henry did not go with a more rugged supplier
for the supply. The amps are very nice other wise--best RF shielding in the
buisness. I never did like having the filament winding on the same core as
the plate winding though. Drake and Heathkit did it right in the L4 and
SB-220. I have YET so find a bad SB-220 plate xmfr and this is OUTSTANDING
considering that they made well over 50K units.

The old 2K4 is still one of the best amps made. If I were serious about
beefing up the supply I would:
1. Go brand new with Dahl
2. Parallel an identical xmfr in with the original from another junked deck.

when in doubt see number 1.

Lane Zeitler
San Diego