[AMPS] tuning capacitor & insulator

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] tuning capacitor & insulator
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 12:57:33 -0500

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998 10:52:10 +0200 "John Fielding"
<johnf@futurenet.co.za> writes:
>According to my Eimac shortform the 4CX250R and the 7580W are the same
>tube.  BTW the R stands for "ruggedised" it can withstand a lot more
>vibration and shock than a standard 250.  However the plate, screen
>and
>grid dissipation are the same as a normal 250 and have the same
>typical
>output power.  Eimac catalog for the 4CX250B/7203 & the 4CX250BC/8957
>both
>give typical output power of 300W at 175 MHz in AB1 operation.
>
>In summary:
>
>4CX250B/BC     anode 250W
>               screen 12W
>               grid    2W
>
>4CX250R        anode   250W
>               screen  12W
>               grid    2W
>
>What's the difference?

The 250R has a minute (Eimacs word) .2pf increase in output C over the
7580. Both have a higher perveance than the 250B and require a slightly
more negative bias voltage.
At 1500V Ep any version can be made moderately clean. At 2000V they are
horribly dirty.
The 7580 was developed primarily for military use where communications
are channelized so IMD was not a problem.  Listen even today to military
nets if you want to hear poor signals!

73  Carl  KM1H