Fw: [AMPS] Anode load line calculations.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Fw: [AMPS] Anode load line calculations.
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 10:00:13 -0500

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998 14:23:29 +0200 Ian Roberts <itr@nanoteq.co.za>
writes:

>John Fielding wrote:
>

>> As far as the other aspect of the argument regarding the linearity
>versus
>> anode voltage - it is a well documented fact that the greater the
>anode
>> supply available the more linear the operation will be for a given
>output
>> power.  Why else do we use such high voltages if we could use lower
>and
>> safer voltages?  Look again at the formula - here you can plainly
>see that
>> the predominant factor in obtaining high output power is the voltage
>term!
>>

>This is not peculiar to tubes.
>And is why the ICOM IC-781 running the PA transistors at 28 V achieves
>37 dB
>IMD, compared to the typical 24-28 dB from 13 V transistors (IC-565,
>476, Yeasu
>847, 920, etc). 50 V transistors are even better, but as long as hams
>use 13 V,
>we will have to continue enjoying 40 kHz-wide SSB signals, as
>generated by a
>nearby 400 W 13 volt USA-made linear on 6m.

A big part of that 6M linear problem if it is a TE as I suspect, is that
it uses a horrible bias circuit that goes into class C at around 100W
output. Switching over to an active bias will do wonders.

All it takes is 2 transistors and a few caps/resistors. I've converted
several of them.

73  Carl  KM1H

>Ian, ZS6BTE
>

>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]