[AMPS] Line input wiring

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Line input wiring
From: k5ya@gvtc.com (Dennis Mowers)
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 17:31:12 -0800
I'm wiring my new ham shack and am confronted with several different
240V outlet types, some are 3 wire, and some are 4 wire.

The question is:  What is the number of wires in the typical commercial
amp power line cord, one that should be run on 240V?

I'm presently using a 3 wire input to my amp, which operates on 240V.
The neutral line connects to the low side of the amp control circuitry
which needs 120V.   Chassis is connected to the station earth ground.

Should I use a 4 wire outlet and bring the power line ground from the
breaker box to connect to the amp chassis?  Or should the amp chassis be
grounded only through the station ground, and power be brought in on a 3
wire circuit?

Thanks