[AMPS] restoring/replating

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] restoring/replating
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 15:08:26 -0500

On Sun, 27 Dec 1998 11:57:32 -0500 "Dick Hanson" <k5and@ga.prestige.net>
writes:

>Howdy....
>A while back, there was a thread on silver tarnish removal. Here is
>another
>alternative which really works well. To remove tarnish, use Tarn-X,
>available in most drug stores (like Eckerd's). 12 ounces costs about
>$4.
>(Pat Stein at Commander told me about it.) Then, if anything needs
>replating, an excellent product is "Silversmith", mfg'd by E-Z Way
>Chemical
>Co. in Burlington, Wa. It really works well, but is expensive ($20 or
>so for
>5 1/2 ounces), and it is poisonous, so you have to be careful how you
>handle
>it and where you store it. The final touch for preserving the silver
>finish
>is Hagerty silversmith polish. (Also a tip from Pat Stein). Again,
>this
>product is somewhat pricey, and seems to be available only in jewelry
>shops,
>but it really delays the tarnishing process. Hope this info may be of
>some
>use.
>Best wishes for the new year.
>Dick Hanson,  K5AND   EM74
>7540 Williamsburg Dr.
>Cumming, Ga.   30041
>770-844-7002

Good info Dick but possibly regional in availability. I have been using
Tarn-X for several years now but Wal-Mart is the only place within about
20 miles of here that carries it. The instructions say not to dip silver
into the solution but I find that sometimes is the only way that works. I
pour some into a small plastic container  and use an old toothbrush to do
the cleaning. You can reuse the solution several times if you filter thru
a paper towl or coffee filter but eventually it has to be thrown away.

For polish, I use BLITZ brand Silver Care with tarnish retardant also at
Wal-Mart but only $2.97 for 8oz.

Does that Silversmith stuff really work for RF use? I've no personal
experience with plating but have read several posts elsewhere over the
years that real electroplating is the only proper procedure.

Which brings up another question.  I am considering building a basic
electroplater for silver. Do I need pure silver or can I use plated stuff
for the source? If I cant use plated scrap, what is required to seperate
the silver from the copper or whatever? Any books to check out of the
library?

73  Carl KM1H

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]