[AMPS] restoring/replating

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] restoring/replating
From: wc6w@juno.com (Radio WC6W)
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 1998 23:07:47 EST

>Jeez Marv, you're one of these guys that's into everything.  I may have
>been wrong about needing a silver anode...I'll have to check all the
stuff
>I photocopied out of the Electro Plater's Handbook a couple of years
back.
>There's also all kinds of recipes for pre-cleaning solutions etc. And
the
>ingredients you listed all sound correct.  I looked into aquiring all
>these; it can be done but  the scientific supply houses ask a lot of
>questions when a 'guy' calls to order cyanide.  These ready-made
solutions
>make it alot easier but of course you pay a bit for the convenience.
>
>Fun stuff.
>
>Phil T

Hi Phil,
     I had a friend in the Jewelry biz a long time ago and most of what I
know of this process I learned from him.   He also did my plating... so I
didn't have to get my fingers etched! :-)

   He had a first hand experience with "process failure" in the poorly
ventilated back room at his shop; fortunately not fatal.  When the anode
is depleted, instead of the solution staying in balance, cyanide is
liberated... not a happy circumstance!  :-(     This is especially
something to be carefully monitored, if an old piece of silver plate is
employed for the anode.

   If the process is running correctly, the silver should move from the
anode to the cathode, the solution should stay in equilibrium, and the
cyanide should stay put.

  Oh, incidently, if I recall correctly the optimum current density is
about 5-10 mA per square inch of the surface to be plated.  A constant
current regulated power supply is nice but, a series resistor will
suffice.

73,
  Marv  WC6W

*

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]