[AMPS] Dollars per dB

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Dollars per dB
From: n4kg@juno.com (T A RUSSELL)
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 01:52:56 -0600

On Sat, 2 Jan 1999 16:48:20 -0500 km1h@juno.com writes:

>Jon, if you have enough time and patience you can make
>Honor Roll on 5W.

        Yep.  One W5 has done it.  AA2U may be there.
        N4KG is close.  (Guess I should have tried for XZ1N )

>But those are usually the hams that live on the radio,   PROBABLY
> ignore families,      POSSIBLY,   or Don't Have Families
>or more likely havent taken a bath in 6 months
        GETTING A LITTLE FAR OUT HERE  CARL
>and cant find a woman that would live with them.
>       NOT  ALWAYS  THE  CASE

        You forgot to mention people who spend too much
        time on the reflectors talking about radio instead of
        doing radio!    (oops,  guess that hits many of us)

Just go to Dayton and observe. One wag observed
>that if  Dayton was nuked during Hamvention the gene
>pool in the US would improve considerably!

        This may apply to some segments of the hobby
        but seems less likely among those who actually
        pursue  serious   goals,  whatever they may be,
        such as DX, or Contesting,  VHF, and even QRP.

        I recall my first visit to Dayton when I was a student
        at the Univ of Michigan.  While hanging out with some
        of the contest crowd in one of the Jersey DX suite rooms,
        I couldn't help but notice the average level of education
        in that room was probably a Master's Degree.  Most of
        those same guys were still there the last time I attended
        as well.     N4KG

>I have an active family, a real job and no interest in living in the
>basement.
>Before you comment, I also have 305 DXCC cfmd on 40M over the years
>with 5W but a 4el KLM at 140' thru 180' at various QTH's has helped a
>wee bit.

        Carl,  I have done my share of serious QRP contesting
        and DXing and I  KNOW  you did not work 305 countries
        on 40M  QRP  while attending  PTA  meetings!

        You are beginning to sound like one of those
        "the less you do it, the better you are"  kind of
        non-participants.    If you need a break from
        your heavy involvement, take a break, but don't
        bash the serious guys who still enjoy this hobby.
        Amateur radio gets enough bashing from outside
        the hobby.  Let's focus on the positive aspects
        and encourage more enjoyment and participation.
        de  N4KG

>As I said a day or so ago, 100W is OK for filament power only, if you
>dont want to play in the noise level.
>
>73  Carl  KM1H
>Life is too Short for QRP

        Sounds like a case of  burnout  to  me.
        Take up another challenge and renew your vigor.

        ENJOY  !

        HNY  de   Tom   N4KG

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]