[AMPS] Vac Variable Mounting

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Vac Variable Mounting
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 01:52:09 -0600
>Looking for some wisdom...  Need to mount a couple of Jennings CVCJ type
>vacuum variables and have never seen a close-up view of the proper way to
>physically mount them.  My current thinking is to make some brackets out of
>1/4" or 1/2" thick aluminum which would clamp to the silver plated areas at
>the "front" (shaft end) and the smaller diameter ring at the "back"

Hi Bill,

I just mounted a UCS type in my amp rebuild.  My UCS unit has a flange on
the shaft part that is used for mounting (either into a wall, or a
bracket).  I made a bracket out of some sheet aluminum and reinforced it
with some steel mending plates.  I works pretty good.  1/4 or 1/2 inch
aluminum should work FB, although it may be harder to work with.  I don't
know if the type you have come with the flange for mounting.  But your
idea seems like it will work.

As for connecting to the other end of it, my cap at least is a big hunk
of metal at the end.  I plan on snugging up my connections to it with a
small hose clamp.  I am more concerned with torsional stress on the whole
cap body then on the amount of pressure I apply to a mounting area.

I hope this helps.

73,

Jon
KE9NA