[AMPS] Re: Ceramic Caps in PA Tanks

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Ceramic Caps in PA Tanks
From: dhearn@ix.netcom.com (dan hearn)
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 07:54:27 -0800
I am surprised that no mention has been made of the temperature coefficients of
Centralab doorknob capacitors. These are usually stamped right on the cap. They
are also in the Centralab catalog. They range from NPO (zero) thru N500 (minus
500 ppm/degree C) to Hi K ( uncontrolled but high ). Even the NPO's are stable
only over a limited temp range. Heating with r.f. current flow is inevitable.
Transmitting micas with adequate rating are certainly superior but the cost
discourages most of us from using them unless we get them via flea markets. I
talked a friend who is a CD rep out of a catalog which has r.f. current ratings
for the small 500v and 1000v micas. I was surprised how much current some of
these small micas can handle.
  By the way, my guess that the Alpha 77DX grid meter is 250 ma f.s. in spite of
the 500 ma scale has been confirmed by two people. This means that the 80-100 ma
I get with proper tuneup is ok, and I do know how to tune it up, Hi . 73. Dan,
N5AR