[AMPS] Re: Ceramic Caps in PA Tanks

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Ceramic Caps in PA Tanks
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 12:31:39 -0500

On Sun, 24 Jan 1999 07:54:27 -0800 dan hearn <dhearn@ix.netcom.com>
writes:

>I am surprised that no mention has been made of the temperature
>coefficients of
>Centralab doorknob capacitors. These are usually stamped right on the
>cap. They
>are also in the Centralab catalog.

Unfortunately NPO is only available up to 65pf in the HT-58 series by
HEC. Not usually a useful range of values unless you parallel a bunch of
them.

They range from NPO (zero) thru
>N500 (minus
>500 ppm/degree C) to Hi K ( uncontrolled but high ). Even the NPO's
>are stable
>only over a limited temp range. Heating with r.f. current flow is
>inevitable.
>Transmitting micas with adequate rating are certainly superior but the
>cost
>discourages most of us from using them unless we get them via flea
>markets.

And then you have to be concerned with moisture migration over the years.
I once had a beautiful 1000pf 10KV Aerovox literally blow apart and take
out a 4-1000 chimney.

Ameritron appears to be having good results with a monolithic style cap,
I remember W8JI discussing them a year or so ago.

>talked a friend who is a CD rep out of a catalog which has r.f.
>current ratings
>for the small 500v and 1000v micas. I was surprised how much current
>some of
>these small micas can handle.

Dont pass up the larger size mica compression trimmers such as the Arco
302M series. They are rated 1000V and come in values from 15 to 2500pf.
The large open construction will undoubtedly offer better cooling and
higher current as compared to a sealed unit.
Bring a hand held capacity meter to the fleamarkets.

73   Carl   KM1H