[AMPS] Bandwidth

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Bandwidth
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 22:10:57 -0600
>What's this 'bandwidth' term all the computer freaks keep using?
>Bandwidth is the frequency band between the 3dB points of a tuned circuit,
>or between the passband edge attenuations of a filter, or the 'Occupied' or
>'Necessary' bandwidths of a transmission, as per ITU. But a reflector?
>
>This is an RF reflector; mayhap I'm picky about technical terms, but I hate
>to see them totally misused. Especially here, where bandwidth has specific
>meanings when applied to amplifiers - the raison d'etre of this reflector.

IMO, bandwidth in terms of computer stuff is related to how much
information can be carried by the internet.  Contrary to popular opinion,
the internet cannot support infinite amounts of data and traffic.
Therefore, it has a limited "bandwidth."  As such, each packet of
information takes up a certain amount of the total "bandwidth" available.
 So sending a large amount of information can potentially cause more
internet traffic and headaches than necessary.

I assume "bandwidth" could also stand for volume of information as more
of a figure of speech than a literal term.

Either way, it was probably coined by some bit head somewhere who wanted
to be like the amp builder who built 100KW amps.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden