[AMPS] L4B power supply

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] L4B power supply
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 01:46:48 -0500

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 17:15:59 -0000 Peter Chadwick
<Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com> writes:

>>It may also be advantageous to shut down, and feel the caps for
>excessive
>>heat at around the 3/4 mark.
>
>I would make sure all the caps are discharged with a 1 Kohm 10 watt
>resistor
>, connected on insulated  flying leads with insulated test prods
>across each
>cap in turn for a few seconds, before poking the fingers in there.
>
>Yes, I'm a coward when it comes to high voltages! And when a PSU has
>been
>hanging around for years, I don't trust the bleeder resistors either.

I knew someone would comment on that as I was typing it!

The Drake L4 thru L7 PS uses both equalizing resistors across the caps
PLUS a pair of 50K 50W bleeders. In many other amps I probably would have
repeated for the umpteenth time about your concerns. But after awhile it
starts to rub thin. Its sort of like the drivers who keep going thru stop
signs.

73  Carl  KM1H

>73
>
>Peter G3RZP
>

>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]